Samsung offered $225,000 in cash and prizes for the most innovative converged apps that enable an interactive home entertainment experience between Samsung TVs and other devices.
The Samsung Free the TV Challenge seeks to spur the development of converged apps that enable seamless interaction and new home entertainment experiences between Samsung Smart TVs and other devices. Samsung is offering more than $225,000 in cash and prizes to the winners. Winners will be awarded based on the overall visual appeal of the app on each screen, the quality of the idea, and the functional implementation. Developers retain ownership of their applications and may charge for them or provide them for free.
The current Samsung Free the TV Challenge follows on the success of the 2010 challenge, which coincided with the release of the first Samsung TV App SDK for our industry-leading line of Smart TVs and Blu-ray devices. The Free the TV Challenge aims to build lasting relationships between software developers and Samsung, to advance the applications ecosystem and encourage the creation of immersive experiences.
Headquartered in Ridgefield Park, NJ, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. (SEA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., markets a broad range of award-winning, digital consumer electronics and home appliance products, including HDTVs, home theater systems, MP3 players, digital imaging products, refrigerators and washing machines. A recognized innovation leader in consumer electronics design and technology, Samsung is the HDTV market leader in the U.S. Please visit www.samsung.com for more information.
James L. McQuivey, Ph.D.
VP, Principal Analyst, Forrester Research
Executive Director, Industry Analysis, The NPD Group
General Partner, Opus Capital
VP Content and Product Solutions, Samsung Electronics America
VP Marketing Communications, Samsung Electronics America
Vice President, Visual Display UX Lab, Samsung Information Systems America
Quality and Innovation of the Idea
Includes elements such as creativity and originality
Includes elements such as how well the idea was executed
Overall Visual Appeal
Includes elements such as the design, graphics, typography, and visual aesthetic
How to enter
- Create an account on FreetheTVChallenge.com or log in with an existing ChallengePost account.
- On FreetheTVChallenge.com, click "Follow" to register your interest in participating. This step ensures that you will receive important challenge updates.
- Visit the Samsung D Forum (www.samsungdforum.com/us), register or sign in, and download the Samsung TV App SDK 2.5. (The SDK is available from various pages on the Samsung D Forum site, including the main page.) Be sure to use version 2.5 of the SDK (not 3.0 or any other version).
- Check out the Resources section, where you can learn more about building converged applications.
- Create a working converged software application using the Samsung TV App SDK 2.5. Upload your app on the Submit Application page, along with a video of your working software application, a text description (including a description of the functionality, uses and interactivity of the device(s), other than a TV, on which the application can run) and at least one image/screenshot of the application. (You do not need to submit your app on the Samsung D Forum site — only on the Submit Application page on this site.)